Saturday, October 4, 2008

How We Met: Tanner's point of view

How Sarah and I got together is a funny story and it took many months to actually happen.

The first time we met it was at the house of our mutual friend Glen. Glen had just moved into the ward but he and I got along well right off the bat. He told me that he and some people from the ward and the surrounding area got together to cook dinner and watch an animated film. This event was called "Cartoon Sunday." I thought it sounded like fun. So, I went. There I met Sarah. She was very funny and I could tell that she had the confidence of a performer. However, to be honest, the first thing that popped in my head was, "Nice butt."

I tried to start a conversation with her. But, I could tell that she was interested in Glen. Being the swinging bachelor that I was I felt it wasn't a big deal. There were plenty of fish in the sea and that I didn't want to prevent Glen from enjoying the company of such a fine young lady. So, I let it be.

Fast forward a few months and my friend Liz Demeter told me that she was going to be having a birthday celebration all day one Saturday. Starting out at Point Dume beach and then later that evening a barbecue at her friend Mel's house and then later a Karaoke club. I was interested in a friend of Liz's at the time so I thought it would be prudent to go. I went to what I thought was Point Dume beach and I could not find anyone anywhere. I walked up and down the beach for what seemed like hours and I couldn't find anyone. I was calling people to try and find out where they were. They finally called me back only to tell me that they were leaving and that I could meet them at Mel's house for the Barbecue.

Frustrated and a little dejected I went home cleaned myself up and decided to go to the barbecue. At the barbecue I knew only 3 or 4 people including the birthday girl herself, and the girl I was interested in at the time. Liz was attending to her birthday girl duties so wasn't able to talk to any one person for very long. The girl I was interested in was completely ignoring me. So, I got the hint and didn't try to push the subject any farther... like I said "swinging bachelor." So, I was just sitting there enjoying my hamburger. And Sarah came up and talked to me for a while. I was enjoying myself and I was glad that Sarah had decided to talk to me. Then, up sidles this guy and basically... basically he queers my play. He starts injecting himself into our conversation. It kinda bugged me.

The party moved to a karaoke club in Koreatown. Everyone was there and everyone was having a good time. Sarah and I were still flirting off and on throughout the night. But, Other Guy is also hitting on Sarah. I didn't have a lot of friends at the party but thankfully my good friend Jared Purrington showed up and I had someone to talk to. So, the party ended and we start to work our way out to our cars. I'm standing next to Sarah and I am literally about to say "Hey Sarah, could I get your number?" but on the other side of Sarah is Other Guy and I didn't notice. He says "Hey Sarah, can I get your number?" ARRRRRGH!! What the eff? What am I going to say "Oh hey, by the way, can you get me your number too?" So, me, the sadly swinging bachelor, figure that there may be more fish in the sea.

Fast forward a few months. Halloween 2007. I, against my better judgment, go to a Single's Dance out in Santa Monica. I am wearing the best costume I perhaps have ever worn, a lumberjack, and I am looking handsome and brawny. Well, I have a few friends there and so we are all dancing and having a good time. When I see a familiar face dressed as a nurse. It's Sarah and she is there with a couple of her friends. They take a few pictures with me in my awesome costume. We talked for a little bit. But, I wasn't really taking anything too serious because... let's face it girls on Halloween are known to be more... affectionate than other days of the year. Then a couple of days later I went to Dave Thompson's house for his Halloween party. And sure enough Sarah was there! We talked and flirted and danced. And, to be honest I didn't think she would sincerely be interested in me because like I said. Girls. Halloween. Nuff Said. So after the party I went home and went to sleep.

Then, the next day I get a facebook message flirt from Sarah... well here is the actually message back and forth.

Sarah: You're a special one that's for certain

Tanner: I aim to please. Did anything crazy awesome happen after I left?

Sarah: No, my friend and I left at midnight. I guess you took the party spirit with you.

Tanner: Aw. So sorry. What can I do to make it up to you?

Sarah: Well, it's my birthday in about an hour and 15 minutes. So, surprise me.

Tanner: I need to get your number. Any chance of getting that resolved?

Sarah then gave me her number. I called her at the stroke of midnight on her birthday singing "Happy Birthday" And the rest is history. She is the love of my life. And I am glad that I had several chances to meet her and make something happen. She is such a blessing in my life and I am lucky to be with her. I love you, Sarah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're really sly man. I would have fallen in love too...in fact...too late, I'm head over heels for you.